File storage is a great way to access files on the go, but it free services only limit you to a certain amount of GB’s of storage space. For anyone who doesn’t want to pay extra to be able to access files on the go, a remote desktop access app is a great alternative to file storage.
PocketCloud Explore is a free app that allows you to access your PC/MAC files from your Android device. This is really great if you want unlimited access to your files without bringing your laptop or netbook.
For accessing your computer’s data using this app, here’s what you need:
- Internet connectivity on both computer and phone.
- PocketCloud Windows/MAC companion for your computer.
- PocketCloud Explore app on your Android phone/device.
- Android 2.1 and up
- Google account
Once this is all available, here’s what you need to do next:
- Install PocketCloud Windows/MAC companion on your computer. For a setup guide, you can visit their website here.
- Enter your Google credentials on the last installation page.
- Install PocketCloud Explore on your Android device.
- From your phone, open the app and it should automatically detect and connect to your desktop. Your remote computer should be connected to the Internet for this to work.
- Tap on your computer’s name and it should give you a list of files and folders to access.
- Long press on a file to transfer it to your phone.
- Tap on a file to open it. Note that some files like .doc or .xls requires an app on your phone to open it. Apps like QuickOffice or DocumentsToGo are some examples.
- To disconnect from the network, just go back to the home screen and tap on Go Offline.
Note that you can also upload your phone’s files to your desktop. Just navigate to your phone’s file system and long press on a file to transfer it to any folder you choose on your desktop.
In a way, this app works even better than storing it in the cloud through a file storage app. Your files don’t need to be accessed from a server, being that you’re accessing it from your own computer.
However, this will require your computer to be connected to the Internet the entire time. If this is no issue, then this method is worth a try. Just make sure that your desktop’s antivirus and Internet security software are working as you leave it on for the day, and you should be okay.